Why You Should Join Guild of Guardians & Immutable
I might be biased, but Guild of Guardians and Immutable are some of the most exciting places to work right now in the web 3 gaming space. So much so, that I wanted to write this blog to give an overview of what it’s like to work at Guild of Guardians and why you should consider joining us!
Why are we here?
We are here to build the future of gaming. Last year, gamers spent $110 billion, on in-game items that they don’t actually own. Groups like content creators, streamers and esports teams contribute immensely to a game's success but don’t actually share in any of the game's upside, and rely on advertising to stay alive.
Digital assets can solve this by creating scarce, tradable assets that do not require a third party to stay secure. We are building the first games of their kind— accessible, fun, and meaningful while at the same time, empowering players and content creators alike.
Introduction to Immutable
If you join Guild of Guardians, you will be part of Immutable. Immutable is a VC-funded company that recently raised US$200m at a valuation of US$2.5 billion. Our business is split into two parts: Immutable X (the platform) and Immutable Studios (the games studio).
You can think of it like Netflix. In order to build the future of gaming, we have a platform that anyone can use to easily integrate blockchain into their game, and then we have quality original content to show the world how to build meaningful games that use blockchain in the right ways.
Guild of Guardians operates as a flagship game within Immutable Studios. Our team is relatively independent and effectively running as a ‘business unit’ within Immutable.
Introduction to Guild of Guardians
Guild of Guardians is a mobile, squad-based action RPG. The best way to explain how the game works is with a video from our recent Pre-Alpha demo release, which you can find below:
If you are short-on time, it’s effectively a fantasy-based RPG where players build their dream team of heroes and battle through monsters, dungeons and bosses in order to earn loot and level up.
Guild of Guardians was started in early 2020, before NFTs were popular. Since then, we’ve achieved quite a number of things that we’re proud of:
- Launched a pre-alpha demo of the game to our community with immensely positive feedback
- Built a community and pre-registration list of around 400,000 players
- Shared our vision with the world and sold $20m of NFTs & tokens
- Released a token that (at time of writing) is valued at $200 million
- Pioneered concepts in the NFT gaming space such as: the term “play-and-earn”, the concept of whitelists and the focus on community
- Partnered with leading brands in the space such as Ubisoft, NRG Esports, Sandbox & more
- Built out a core internal team as well as a strong network of development partners
- Been featured on prominent publications: Cointelegraph, IGN, VentureBeat, PocketGamer, Sydney Morning Herald, Tech In Asia & more
These are just small steps though. Our big focus is on releasing a meaningful, fun and engaging game that can onboard hundreds of millions of players to digital assets.
What makes Guild of Guardians different?
Guild of Guardians isn’t here to just build any old blockchain game. We are here to win and push the industry forward. It’s important to understand how we plan to do that and our philosophy on games.
Our strategy is simple. Build an amazing game experience and to supercharge it using web 3. We see blockchain as a tool that can enhance the gaming experience and improve distribution, but not as the product.
We’re also extremely confident in the specific type of game that we’re building as being the perfect fit for blockchain, for two main reasons.
- First is that the industry is extremely attractive. Mobile games is a $100 billion industry and growing 2.5x faster than PC. Mobile squad RPGs make up a big part of this (last year they generated $6 billion revenue), and on average players spend $200–300 without real ownership.
- Second, and more importantly, is that blockchain can be used to actually make the game more fun for players. This is important, because we’re building a game that can’t be done without blockchain. For example, mobile RPG players love thinking about the strategy of the game, equipment sets, hero synergies and so on. Blockchain can enhance this by creating economic gameplay that increases strategic depth. More examples below:
However, we haven’t solved everything! There are lots of exciting challenges and opportunities in the web 3 gaming space, whether it’s figuring out how to reach a new audience, building out game products, engineering with new technologies or solving difficult economic balancing problems. Or just building an amazing game.
This is where we want YOU!
Why join Guild of Guardians?
We want to work with incredible and diverse people. Here are the reasons for wanting to join us:
- First, you would be working at the forefront of gaming and web 3 innovation. We aren’t just saying that, we’re doing it. Guild of Guardians was one of the first games in the space (ideated in 2019, started in 2020), and has been recognised by the community as one of the top upcoming games. We are and will continue to be innovation leaders in the web 3 gaming space.
- Second, you would be working with some very talented and smart people. We know that smart people want to work with smart people, and we also know how important it is to have a great team in order to build amazing teams. We have awesome leaders, we’re paying top-of-the-market comp, have rocket ship equity, and an awesome benefits package.
- Third, you would have the opportunity to join a rapidly growing team and company. Despite our funding, we still have big growth ambitions and the company is planning to double in the next 6 months. You will not only have an opportunity to make an impact, but more opportunities will arise to progress and grow within the company. As an example, Immutable Studios was previously just Gods Unchained, then we added Guild of Guardians, and soon we’ll be looking to add additional titles.
- Fourth, you would be joining a team that has a diverse set of backgrounds and skillsets. Our team is an eclectic mix of gaming veterans, entertainment & gaming experience, ‘crypto-native’ talent and pure functional experts. We’re also global — with team members living in over 8 different cities. Even though we still aren’t as diverse as we would like to be, we recognise the value of diversity when it comes to finding the best talent and building the best games.
- Fifth, you would experience the fun and excitement of being part of a scale-up rocketship, within the safety of a well funded company. Given we recently raised $200 million USD, you can join in comfort knowing that Guild of Guardians is well positioned and set up to succeed and that we have more initiatives and projects on our backlog.
What it’s like to work with us…
You would live the Immutable values. The culture of Guild of Guardians is very similar to the values of Immutable. These are values we take seriously.
- We live to level up — learning and growth is part of our DNA, when things go wrong we look forward not back
- We take ownership — we give individuals a lot of decision making & autonomy and hold them accountable
- We test and iterate — we don’t know everything, and will quickly test our ideas. We’re willing to fail
- We lovingly speak our minds — We don’t hold back ideas or dissent, but we make sure to voice them in the ‘right’ way
You would be relentlessly audience focused. We care a lot about the types of players who are ultimately going to be engaged with Guild of Guardians. However, it doesn’t stop there. We also care a lot about everyone else in our community ecosystem (i.e. creators, builders, investors) and focus our efforts, learning, game and product on improving their experiences.
You would join a rapidly growing team. Immutable may have aggressive hiring targets as a whole, and this is no different for Guild of Guardians. We’re aiming to double in size in the next 6 months.
You will have the opportunity for creative, web 3 innovation. We recognise the world order is changing, and that we need to combine the best of traditional gaming knowledge with web 3 expertise in order to build the games of the future. Therefore we value innovation, and make this a priority in the work we do.
You will be joining a fun, remote-first team. Our head office is in Sydney, but our team is spread out across Australia (i.e. Sydney, Melbourne, Perth) and the United States (i.e. Los Angeles, Utah, Texas). You can expect to need a few hours overlap with Sydney, but otherwise you can enjoy flexible working hours and the comforts & efficiency advantages of working remotely. Despite being remote first, we also do find opportunities for everyone in the team to meet others in person!
You will be able to use our partnership network to your advantage to execute or scale. Unlike other gaming studios, we intentionally scale via long-term partnerships rather than trying to do everything. Joining Guild of Guardians is like joining the strategic HQ, and we partner with top game development studios (Stepico Games) and art studios to build out Guild of Guardians.
How to apply
We’re super excited to share the opportunity for more people to join the Guild of Guardians team.
We are hiring across all disciplines
- Production (Associate Producers)
- Product (Product Managers)
- Engineering (SRE, Software Engineers, Staff Engineer)
- Marketing (Product Marketing, Community, Brand, Social Media)
- Creative (Creative Direction, Technical Artist)
- Design (Economy Design)
You can apply directly via the links above or see more roles for Immutable on our hiring website (make sure to select the job that says “Guild of Guardians”)
If you know anyone who might be a good fit, please share with them! We have a $1–10k referral bonus depending on the role! Follow this link for more details!
That’s it! — Until next time, Guardians.
Derek | VP & Game Director